Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fall Dough

Okay, I admit it.  I am a sucker for fall.  I may be a teensy bit ahead here, but fall will be coming  to my classroom tomorrow.  How?  In the form of fall playdough.
Let's admit it, a good majority of first graders are tactile learners.  I think it is because it's what they know.  They use their bodies to learn, explore, search, discover and hopefully comprehend new (and old) ideas.  I have a few students who are struggling with making some of the lower case letters.  Almost to tears struggling, sigh.  So tomorrow we will try "pencils away!" and  add some fun, tactile, alphabet shape making with fall playdough. My secret to fall?  One heaping tablespoon of pumpkin spice. Mmmmmm, it smells so good! Want to join the fun?  
Here is my favorite dough recipe:
 3 cups flour
3 cups warm water
3/4 cup salt
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 teaspoons Cream of Tarter
1 heaping tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
 Dump all of your ingredients in a big pot.  Set your stove on
medium/high and get stirring!
 Still more stirring needed.  Keep stirring until your dough turns into one big ball.  I haven't quite got the height to keep stirring mine as long as is needed so I pull mine off the heat and let it cool for a just a few minutes.

Then I finish off my playdough by kneading it for awhile.
This picture is pre-kneading, it ends up looking so smooth and lovely.
Like bread.  
I am smiling away because I'm pretty tactile myself.
I love first grade.
Heart 3 Clip Art
Apparently I am in the mood for giving away all my secrets tonight.
Here is another one.  You know that tight, stressed, feeling we all start getting in a throat at some point during the year?  Well mine arrived early. Yesterday to be exact.  
A sore throat may be on the horizon.
BUT WAIT!!  My favorite 'teacher throat' remedy to the rescue!
One giant spoonful of honey, ALL of the juice from half a lemon and a mug full of water. Combine it all and microwave it.  Make it hot! (Yes folks, we are serious about our honey in this house!  Look at the size of that jar!  We are on our 3rd one since Christmas. Yum!)


Now drink and enjoy a little pinterest.
I promise, you will be feeling better soon!
Happy teaching!


2 comments:

  1. I love this and I need to try making it! thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile! I really love that you grasp what children need and how they learn. I really hope to find a teacher like you for my son (he's only 9 months..so I've got awhile). :)

    I'm with you on the fall thing...it's still 100 degrees here, but I'm telling you I'm about to put up my fall decor very soon! I'll make fall happen one way or the other!! :)

    Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete